Tips for safe online shopping
Follow these tips to ensure that you pay securely when you purchase online. They will also help you to protect your computer from fraud in general.
Secure your computer and internet connection
- Install a good virus scanner and anti-spyware software, and keep it up to date.
- Secure your internet connection with a firewall.
- Use a spam filter and remove suspicious emails immediately.
- Turn on automatic updates for your operating system and software.
- Don’t use an open Wi-Fi connection, for example in a restaurant. Only use a Wi-Fi network that is secured with a password.
- Make sure you use a modern browser and that it’s up to date.
Making payments safely
- Before you pay, check that the web page address begins with https:// and that you see the padlock icon in the status bar of your browser.
- Before you start banking, close all your other browser windows.
- During online shopping or when you are logged in to Creditcard Online, only use one browser session. Don’t log in again in another window.
Malicious software enters your computer via:
- Email attachments. Check the sender before downloading and opening an attachment.
- Illegal software, or software from an unknown publisher. Only install software from a trustworthy source.
- Glaring adverts or pop-ups which say your computer is infected. Only trust reports from your own anti-virus software.
- An infected USB stick. Only use USB sticks in secure computers.
Tips to prevent fraud
- Use two different user accounts on your computer: an administrator account to install and manage software, and a normal user account with fewer rights. If you use the latter for everyday use, you will avoid software being installed without you realising it.
- The first time you visit a website, type in the address manually, then save the site in your browser's favourites or bookmarks section. From then on, as far as possible, use the link in your favourites or bookmarks.
- When installing free software, always select custom installation. Only allow the programme you want to be installed.
- Don’t allow your browser to save passwords.